Re: RFC6265 - Difference between RFC and implementation with regards to host-only-flag

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Matthew Cox <macox@microsoft.com> wrote:

> We noticed that the host-only-flag behavior is different in most browsers
> vs the RFC, and I’d like to get this updated with new work being done on
> the cookie RFC.
>

> Given these two headers in a response from a request to
> http://contoso.com/:
>

> Set-Cookie: mycookie=nothostonly; domain=contoso.com
>
> Set-Cookie: mycookie=hostonly
>

> You would expect one cookie based on RFC 6265 section 5.3 where the cookie
> is defined by the name, domain, and path.
>

> However, most browsers will create two cookies since they take
> host-only-flag into account when looking up/creating a cookie.
>

> Based on this I’d like to update section 5.3 and 4.1.2 to add
> host-only-flag to the list of properties that make a unique cookie in the
> store.

This seems like a reasonable change to me, and I believe it matches
Chrome's existing behavior.

> What’s the best way to get this added?  Should I create an issue in GitHub?

I'd say file an issue against
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues; not sure if this is a
substantial enough change to require more than that. Mark?

-mike

-mike