Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7230 (4667)

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:34:57AM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Digging into the history of this a bit, I see that the implied WSP was made explicit as of draft -16:
>   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-16#section-6.2.1
> ... and subsequently, Julian started to convert it to OWS.
>
> However, Roy took it out with this commit:
>   https://github.com/httpwg/http11bis/commit/9ff47b1d187bbf2a#diff-48ead163ebcead27fb688b09acb76a43L2282
>
> There doesn't seem to have been any discussion of that change on the list or the issue that the commit was linked to, and no one seems to have noticed until now.
>
> Roy, any additional context here?

>From what I'm seeing the WSP was first added between draft 4 and
draft 5 with this commit :

  commit cadd886ae27d63ed0725aa56a1d7caebbb48b71a
  Author: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
  Date:   Wed Nov 12 23:07:08 2008 +0000

    start adding BWS/OWS/RWS (related to #36)

I remember there was this problem about the poor WSP definition that Roy
had to work on resulting in the patch you pointed above. Maybe the chunk
part was fixed using the definitions from draft 4 as a starting point
instead of draft 5, I don't know.

Cheers,
Willy