RE: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7540 (4663)

RFC 3875 is also Informational, which I interpret as saying that it describes what existing implementations already do, rather than normatively describing an interoperable protocol.  A draft updating it should also comment on what existing implementations do.

IIRC, we opted to continue pushing "HTTP/1.1" in the manifested request line string for app-compat reasons, and added an explicit request version field that indicates 1.1 or 2 for server apps that have been updated to check it (if they care).

-----Original Message-----
From: barryleiba@gmail.com [mailto:barryleiba@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:48 AM
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>; Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm>
Cc: RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>; Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>; Roberto Peon <fenix@google.com>; Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>; d.stussy@yahoo.com; HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7540 (4663)

> REJECT; HTTP is not defined by the CGI specification, and the WG made
> a conscious choice to omit the minor version number.

Indeed.

> Updating the CGI specification is more appropriate (although an errata
> may not be the best way to do it for that spec either).

Not "may not be": is not -- RFC 3875 was correct about this at the time it was written.  It might be that 7540 should have updated 3875 with this, but it didn't, and I don't think that fits into an errata report either.  We could consider writing a quick draft that updates 3875, if we think that's appropriate.

This stuff is still going to me, and not to Alexey; I'm adding Alexey to this, and he can handle rejecting the errata report.

Barry