Re: Call for Adoption: Encrypted Content Encoding

On 2015-12-01 09:22, Walter H. wrote:

>>> No way is that true. TLS per the standard can be MITM'ed by proxies
>>> in ways that subvert both certificate pinning and HSTS in ways that
>>> do NOT inform the user in any browser today. I'm happy to provide
>>> references to this if you like.
>>>
>> The browser will build a end to end TLS tunnel through known proxies.
>> Intercepting proxies may do MITM and
> and exact these intercepting proxies can't validate this content, if it
> contains malware or not;
> as I said, THIS DRAFT IS NONSENS;

Are you promoting the concept of intercepting proxies that break up HTTPS?

>> RFC7469 says it is allowed for clients to turn off pin validation
>> based on some policy and still be compliant. Is this what you want to
>> reference?
>>
>> However it is also compliant to not do this and do pin validation.
>>
> what does this help preventing clients receiving malware, that will be
> raised through this draft?

Privacy and the ability for third-parties to inspect the contents
obviously are conflicting goals. Nothing new here.

One reason for the use of encrypted content in a "blind cache" is to
allow caching of HTTPS content without having to mount a MITM attack.
And I believe that's a very good reason.

Best regards, Julian