Re: Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-httpbis-cice-02: (with DISCUSS)

On 2015-09-03 11:47, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>>> But more importantly, yes, I'm asking about the kind of analysis
>>> that lead to the section 10.6 you point at.
>>
>> There was no analysis because the use of compression in this
>> client->server direction really really isn't new at all.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> S.

Right now we have:

> 6. Security Considerations
>
> This specification does not introduce any new security considerations beyond those discussed in Section 9 of [RFC7231].

...so that's clearly not helping. How about:

"This specification introduces only discovery of supported content
codings and diagnostics for requests failing due to unsupported content
codings. As such, it doesn't introduce any new security considerations
over those already present in HTTP/1.1 (see Section 9 of [RFC7231]) and
HTTP/2 (Section 10 of [RFC7540]).

However, the point of better discoverability and diagnostics is to make
it easier to use content codings in requests. This might lead to
increased usage of compression codings such as gzip (Section 4.2.3 of
[RFC7230]), which, when used over a secure channel, can be subject to
compression side-channel attacks such as BREACH (Section 10.6 of
[RFC7540], [BREACH]). At the time of publication, it was unclear how
BREACH-like attacks can be applied to compression in HTTP requests."

Best regards, Julian