Re: Call for Adoption: draft-reschke-rfc54987bis

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 14:40:36 +0000
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
--------
In message <1C7436D4-D1EF-454C-BC14-E8C00165AA2E@mnot.net>, Mark Nottingham wri
tes:

>We discussed this document in Dallas:
>  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-rfc5987bis>
>
>Based on the feedback received, I believe that we should adopt this
>document as a WG product, with a target of Proposed Standard.

Solving the problem:  Yes, good idea.

"Solving" it this way:  Bad idea.

First, we're worried about transmission times for HTTP so making
the charset selection per header-subfield is a horribly inefficient
way to solve the problem.

Second, do we really want to make it possible to have one subfield
of a header be KOIR8 and the next subfield be codepage 1251 ?

Third, are there *any* valid reasons to even allow other charsets
than ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 from 2015 forward ?