Re: draft-reschke-http-cice vs discussions in Toronto @ IETF 90: use as response header field

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 12:23:50 +1100
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
On 2 Feb 2015, at 7:18 pm, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2015-02-02 09:07, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> Yes, but the semantics of those headers are exactly the same in both directions.
>
> I think that's the case here, too. No?

No. The existing, client-to-server semantic of Accept-Encoding is "For the response associated with this request, I will accept the following encodings..."

In the server-to-client direction, the proposed semantic is "For some unbounded set of future requests, I might accept the following encodings..."

There are a number of subtle differences there, especially about the scope of applicability -- one of the most ill-defined areas in HTTP metadata.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/