Re: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-http-encryption-00.txt

On 12 May 2015 at 10:50, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> It's still the servers responsibility to enforce the overall policy
> of encryption and laugh at such attacks.  (One logical reaction:
> reply "use SSL instead then")

That's a fair point, but the general view is that there might be
clients that want to guarantee that upgrade when it is possible.  That
is, the mutually agreed best option is chosen, even when an attacker
is present.

For instance, many TLS clients still support TLS 1.0, but TLS provides
us with ways to avoid cases where servers choose TLS 1.0 even when
both client and server support the newer and better TLS 1.2.

Accept-Encoding does not provide that property.  Accept-Encryption
might, if we were prepared to design something new.

> Also:  Without Accept-Encryption (of some kind), we have no way to
> phase in new and stronger crypto later on.

Yes, that's the challenge.