Re: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-http-encryption-00.txt

Hi Stephen,

--On May 12, 2015 at 1:33:30 PM +0100 Stephen Farrell
<stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

> So it might be a useful thing here to only try attempt the
> general signed header field thing if there are use-cases that
> are compelling where someone really treats the request or
> response differently in a well defined way when a signature
> that includes a header field is bad or cannot be verified.
>
> By the "general signed header field thing" I mean something
> that's like a DKIM-Signature or Dave Crocker's DOSETA proposal
> or the Cavage draft above.
>
> Note that DKIM didn't have to pass the test I'm suggesting
> here, which was correct in that case. And again, the above
> is a possibly dumb idea so please take it with salt:-)

FYI folks in the CalDAV/Calendaring community have had success adopting
DKIM for use with HTTP for a server-to-server scheduling protocol
(<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-desruisseaux-ischedule-05> - draft
expired but still a work in progress). In our case we provided a much
stricter verification requirement than typically used in email (i.e., we
stated that requests must be rejected if the signature fails). The re-use
of DKIM in HTTP provided a quick and easy route to implementation and

--
Cyrus Daboo