Re: Reviving discussion on error code 451

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 08:53:47AM +0200, Yoav Nir wrote:
> > 404s are sent all the time; browser display the body just as they would for
> > a 200. Likewise for 451 (and this has been tested).
>
> I know, but I see a lot of status code 200 with content that says the
> resource is not available. Could be an issue with some server platform. I
> don???t know enough about why that is done.

It's common on some horribly slow CMS platforms, but often it's made on
purpose by the companies who deploy them : they involve caches which
"intercept" 404 and build the page on the fly based on some database
contents, with a default page when contents are not found (typically
the home page). Sorry for those I made throw up while drinking their
coffee! Fortunately most of the web is not designed like this, but I
have seen such mess as well.

Willy