Re: Straw Poll: Restore Header Table and Static Table Indices

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:23:19AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <20141021102016.GG30397@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>
> >We can have an encoding starting with something
> >impossible in text mode (eg: LF byte) to mark [...]
>
> I would simply put two "Date:" entries in the static table, one
> for text-encoded and one for number-encoded.

That would not be compatible with dynamic indexing. I suspect that
a number of applications emit many very similar dates in responses
(when pages are dynamically generated), resulting in exact same
values between the application and the frontend (lb/cache/etc).
Given that you have much more experience than me looking at Date
headers, don't you think that can be a loss ? Also it would require
specific handling from the encoder to know that they must not index
this specific header. We already have the set-cookie header which is
boring, better try not to have another one.

Just my few cents
willy