Re: Straw Poll: Restore Header Table and Static Table Indices

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:23:35AM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I think we need to see a proposal here if we?re going to take this seriously
> ? i.e., either fairly complete text or a pull request.
>
> Are you interested, and can you do so in a small number of days?
>
> Ill say outright that it feels to me that we?re in the weeds hyper-optimising
> the format, whereas we?ve agreed many times that doing so isn?t a high
> priority.

I'm against hyper-optimising but I favor a balanced protocol. If some
users report that the current design is considerably worse than the
previous one, I think we should seek a balance point. And FWIW, using
a bit to indicate static vs dynamic will save less space than if we'd
use ranges but it will remain simpler to implement.

> Thus, I suspect that it?s going to be difficult to get consensus on
> such a proposal ? but (as always) I?m happy to be proven wrong by the WG.

I'm currently trying to find the best way to limit the amount of text
changes (or addition). If anyone already has something or is willing
to help, inputs are welcome!

Regards,
Willy