Re: Straw Poll: Restore Header Table and Static Table Indices

On 15 October 2014 15:22, Adrian Cole <adrian.f.cole@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we agree that api stuff does in fact use a lot of non-standard
> headers, and we believe flipping back doesn't maim normal web, could
> that be a strong enough case to revert?

I don't think we should set this up as standard headers vs dynamic
headers.   Both have
very valid use-cases and it is impossible to say which is more deserving of
the 1 byte
slots.   Simply flipping back just changes the bias and causes other
problems.

If an argument can be made that 2 byte encodings are still too large for
dynamic headers, then instead
of flipping back let's investigate how the 1 byte slots can be shared
between static and dynamic.
Reducing the size of the static table does not appear to have drastic
effects on compression, so if the
slots thus freed are a benefit for dynamic headers then we have a good
compromise.

I'm also OK with the status quo, as I think we are talking +/- 1% when we
are already saving >60%
But I'm happy to run the data if people think it is more than 1%.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*