Re: Fwd: Expiration impending: <draft-nottingham-http-patch-status-00.txt>

On 11 September 2014 12:45, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> I've been toying with the idea of defining a replacement for Content-MD5
> (clarity on 206, hash algorithm agility, maybe a conditional header field,
> potentially consistent with the SRI spec).

That sounds like it's worthwhile, if you can find a customer.

Bootstrapping off SRI seems pretty natural here.  You get an SRI link,
you make a request with an If-Content-Hash conditional and you avoid
downloading content that doesn't match, if your server is honest.  Not
a huge gain though, because it's not exactly recoverable if you don't
get a match and it still doesn't help for servers that don't support
the conditional (or malicious servers).

The more interesting uses are for patching scenarios where you might
want to be properly sure that the content you are patching is the
content you think.