Re: 9.2.2 Cipher fallback and FF<->Jetty interop problem

[If these suggestions are acceptable, please let me know how you'd like these chopped up and I'll file issues accordingly...]

Martin,

After reviewing the issues I am still uncomfortable with having a list of proposed TLS 1.3 standard cipher suites and feature restrictions made required in the HTTP/2 specification.  These choices haven't even gone through TLS WGLC, and judging from the amount of discussion on the TLS list I would not want to make any decisions based on what may or may not be in TLS 1.3.

I am OK with the wording in section 9.2.

For section 9.2.1, the requirement for SNI makes sense, although it seems strange to put the core requirement on the TLS implementation; maybe:

   HTTP/2 implementations that support TLS MUST also support the Server Name
   Indication (SNI) [TLS-EXT] extension to TLS.  HTTP/2 clients MUST indicate
   the target domain name when negotiating TLS.

   (you might change "indicate" to "specify" here, but that's purely editorial)

The prohibition for compression probably only belongs in the Security Considerations.  I notice that compression is already a SHOULD NOT in the current version of TLS-BCP, and I think it is OK to make it a MUST NOT and cite the BREACH attacks.  Maybe provide a forward reference to section 10.6 at the beginning of 9.2.1 for all of the security-related feature prohibitions?

The prohibition for renegotiation needs to be considered carefully - this is an area of intense discussion in the TLS WG and I expect there will be some form of renegotiation/rekeying in TLS 1.3 to address long-lived connections (at least).  You *could* prohibit renegotiation to obtain client credentials, but even then I would make it a SHOULD NOT and cite interoperability and potential security concerns, and any SHOULD NOT/MUST NOT for security reasons belongs in section 10 (security considerations)...

I am VERY uncomfortable with Section 9.2.2 as currently written.  Basically it makes it impossible to use a TLS/1.2 [RFC5246] implementation since you are prohibiting the only required TLS/1.2 cipher suite (TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA).  I would be much more comfortable requiring base TLS/1.2 (TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA) and recommending the rest.

Finally, there is nothing in section 10 about the TLS-BCP recommendations; in addition to the two prohibitions from section 9.2.1, you could throw in the "MUST NOT negotiate RC4" and highlight other important stuff concerning TLS and HTTPS.

Last (editorial) issue: there are lots of TLS-foo references that really should be RFCnnnn references...