Re: h2 frame layout

On 1 September 2014 09:34, Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au> wrote:

> Repeating myself again, but: what do you think of an option C: remove
> Flags from the general frame header, and add individual Flags fields to
> whichever frame types require them?

Matthew,   in general I think the framing layer should only know about
framing concerns and should be neutral towards any semantics conveyed in
the frame payloads.   So in principal, yes I agree than general flags (and
probably frame types other than those needed by framing) can easily be put
into the payload.

However, END_STREAM is a-priori a framing concern, so I don't think it
should be moved to the frame payload or be a function of frame type.   I
would have preferred the framing layer was designed without HTTP semantic
knowledge and was able to transport arbitrary bidirection flow controlled
streams, perhaps with segments defined so that
flushing/forwarding/segmentation behaviour can be guaranteed to a level
needed.        Other than what is required to achieve that, I see no reason
that the framing layer should know any more about what it is transporting,
even to the extent that it really should not know the difference between a
header and data frame.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>