RE: Push and Caching

Is “validated” the right term? It seems this could be confused with cache validation, which is only applicable to a cached response and is generally/intuitively viewed as a client-initiated action.

Also, which response is the point of reference for validity/freshness? The proposed sentence seems to refer to a pushed response being “validated” at the time that the pushed response itself was generated. I assume we’d actually want to treat the pushed responses to be fresh at the time the response for the associated/original request was generated.

--Will

From: Greg Wilkins [mailto:gregw@intalio.com]
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 7:48 PM
To: Martin Thomson
Cc: Mark Nottingham; Mike Bishop; Patrick McManus; William Chow; HTTP Working Group
Subject: Re: Push and Caching

On 26 August 2014 09:13, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com<mailto:martin.thomson@gmail.com>> wrote:
TAKE TWO:
Pushed responses are considered successfully validated on the origin
server (...) at the time that the response is generated.

I'm good with this one.     I like the instantaneous nature of it.

Any attempt to define the ongoing validity of a resource implies that something will be checking that on the server side and overlaps with the cache control headers.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com<mailto:gregw@intalio.com>>