Re: Push and Caching

On 24 August 2014 17:42, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> I'm OK with that mostly because if you push something with CC: no-cache
> and it isn't considered valid five seconds later, well, you got what you
> asked for, didn't you?

Hmmm that makes me think.... is there some way the client could give some
feedback to the server so it knows if a pushed resource was used or not?
It does not need to be timely, but it would be good to log so that servers
can know if their push strategies are working with the current crop of
browsers / caches etc.

It would be bad if we created a universe where server developers think they
are really smart and push all sorts of resources that we never find out if
they are used or not.

Maybe we could add a flag to push promise, that if set would cause a pushed
resource usage summary to be sent, either after a period or when the
connection is closed.   Or is there some other way we can monitor the
success/failure of push?

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>