Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-tunnel-protocol-00.txt

On 20 Aug 2014, at 11:09 am, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> thanks for those links.
>
> I think the document itself needs to be a bit stronger on the intended usage of the header.  Currently it reads that this header field can be sent by a client and that it can be ignored by the proxy.

That's the intent.

> Perhaps it should be little bit stronger and say that a proxy MAY (SHOULD?) consider this header when deciding to create a tunnel or not.

We can't retroactively require proxies to pay attention to a header; it's up to them. This header is merely enabling those proxies who choose to act upon the header.

(Yes, that corresponds to MAY, but we try to avoid overusing it, else our documents get filled with MAYs. It's not really a conformance requirement, it's just a statement.)

Cheers,