Static Table Entries

From: Simpson, Robby (GE Energy Management) <robby.simpson@ge.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 20:11:39 +0000
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
I've searched around and cannot find any guidelines for what does and does
not go into the static table.

Looking at the current entries, I believe it would be useful to add at
least the following:
- :method PUT
- :method DELETE
- :method HEAD
- :status 201

And perhaps:
- :method
- :path (even this would save ~4 bytes IIUC, vs. the first occurrence)
- :status

I'm coming from a constrained device perspective, so the more in the
static table (code) vs. the header table (RAM), the better, as far as I
can tell.

Is there a reason these should not be added?

Also, I find it odd that common content types are not in the static table
(e.g., "text/html", "image/jpeg", "image/gif", "image/png") for
content-type and perhaps accept.  And perhaps content-encoding for gzip
and deflate.

- Robby

Robby Simpson, PhD
System Architect