Re: Consequences of removing the reference set

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:37:20 -0700
To: Martin Nilsson <nilsson@opera.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 24 July 2014 21:59, Martin Nilsson <nilsson@opera.com> wrote:
> In my mobile testdata I have 2086062 fields in 203586 headers with the
> following duplicates

Assuming that all those headers were encoded based on the a previous
request, the incremental cost of having to index the extra name-value
pairs is 10k (at 2 bytes per reference) at the absolute extreme if we
remove '\0'.  That's generous in the extreme.  Any that appear once do
not benefit from '\0'; any that appear on different connections do not
benefit; and any that have changing values do not benefit.

If you really care, a header field that uses valid syntax can be
concatenated with a comma.