Re: :scheme, was: consensus on :query ?

On 25/07/2014 6:53 a.m., Erik Nygren wrote:
> I think the requirement is that http-scheme-over-TLS must only be done
> in a way where the client and server agree on the scheme in a way that
> works hop-by-hop and also works with legacy clients.  In http/2 the
> :scheme makes this clear.  In prior versions (eg, http/1.1) it's not
> clear there's a sane way (eg, new headers) that unaware intermediaries
> can't be made confused by an adversary on the client or server side?

Why would intermediaries be confused?

http-scheme-over-TLS is only useful when communicating to an explicit
proxy. So the request URI is required to be in absolute-form where the
scheme: is explicitly sent as http:// regardess of the TLS connection it
arrives on.

FYI: Squid has been doing this for TLS between proxies and from
supporting UA for over a decade with zero problems. If this restriction
becomes a "MUST NOT" then you just made FastCGI, Perl, lynx, Chrome,
Squid, curl, wget, and any number of other non-browser implementations
non-compliant.

The only confusion seems to be in certain browser implementers minds as
a whole lot of FUD comes back for reasons not to implement every time
the end users request better security on proxy connections. The only
real technical problem I have heard in the whole debate is that changing
the generic proxy config UI on Windows is a hard problem due to re-use.

Amos