Re: referring to the HTTP spec

On Jul 22, 2014, at 12:58 PM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> On the Hydra mailing list, the topic of "referring to the HTTP spec" came up [1].
>
> What is the best way to refer to "HTTP 1.1 as a whole"
> as a normative reference in a technical document,
> given that the specification now consists of multiple RFCs?

It depends on why you are referencing it.  HTTP as a general concept
would just be a link to the first document (RFC7230) as described in

  http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7230

since it includes the others by reference.

If the reference is a normative dependency, then I would reference each
RFC that is a dependency.  Likewise, I would reference all of the documents
if the intent is to have the reader look at all of them.

....Roy