Re: consensus on :query ?

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:32:28 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <53CD2386.5020306@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes:
>On 2014-07-21 15:37, Martin Thomson wrote:
>> On 21 July 2014 06:29, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> ...again, if we do things like that please do not couple it with "?". Just
>>> have two parts that get concatenated verbatim to reconstruct the full
>>> path+query.
>>
>> I don't know how to act on that.  Are you suggesting that a 1.1 to 2
>> gateway would be unable to perform any separation?
>
>No. It's about the fact that making a privacy-related decision based on
>what's in the path and what's in the query is misguided.

Uhm, the primary argument is compression ratio.

Privacy will only be relevant if we go further in HTTP/3.