Re: Getting to Consensus on 1xx Status Codes (#535)

On 2014-07-17 07:40, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> <https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/535>
>
> So far, we've had two proposals for this issue;
>
> a) Accommodating non-final responses in HTTP/2
>      See Julian's proposal at <https://gist.github.com/reschke/48ec30b0ac9d012b8b4e> for an idea of how this would look in the spec.
>
> b) Publishing a separate document deprecating 1xx status codes
>      Thereby preventing the establishment of new ones (HTTP/2 already defines how to deal with 100, and 101 is not relevant to this protocol. 102 was dropped by its primary use case, WebDAV, here: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#appendix-F.3>)
>
> I'd like to hear:
>
> 1) Your preferred outcome (if any)

a) (assuming my proposal already is sufficient or can be made to work
easily)

> 2) Whether you can live with the other option, and if not, why

I could live with the other option, but I firmly believe that the
ability to send non-final responses could be very useful. Also I just
don't see an equivalent way to do this in HTTP/2 that maps to common
HTTP semantics.

Best regards, Julian