Re: Striving for Compromise (Consensus?)

On 11 Jul 2014, at 7:26 pm, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

> Maybe I missed something, but the underlying issues that led to the proposal
> to remove CONTINUATION were complexity, processing cost and sensitivity to
> DoS.  So while the HOL blocking and buffering are probably not impacted by
> the presence or not of CONTINUATION, these other issues definitely are. Or
> am I off-topic ?

There are lots of pathological ways to increase processing cost — e.g., 1-byte DATA frames. We’re not talking about limiting those (and I will be EXTREMELY unsympathetic to anyone who brings it up after this).

Complexity has many facets, as we’ve heard; it’s not a clean-cut decision.

AIUI the DoS scenario had more to do with HOL blocking and cost of teardown; if there’s a DoS vector that’s specific to this scenario, let’s hear it.

Thanks,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/