Re: Large Frame Proposal

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 18:54:48 -0700
To: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 10 July 2014 18:12, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com> wrote:
> 24 bits of each is still 16MB frames and 16M streams in a connection.... I
> think both are reasonable guesses for infinity and this is a good compromise
> between all the concerns.

We've had input to the effect that a rollover would occur too
frequently for some users at a 24-bit identifier.  I think that the
number in question was a rollover every 10 minutes happens anyway.
I'd have to confirm whether that is at 31 or 24.  Given how disruptive
a rollover is, a the extra bits are useful.

Note also that stream identifiers are used elsewhere, so we'd need to
rework things in a few other places if they changed in size.