Re: Large Frames, Continuations, Flow Control, and changing HPACK

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 11:28:07 -0700
To: RUELLAN Herve <Herve.Ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
Cc: Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>, Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Let's take a step back.

Jeff is proposing that we rearchitect the protocol.  Removing the
reference set is a relatively inconsequential part of these changes.
Being able to split header blocks changes the way that the protocol is
structured; it changes the HTTP mapping.

Greg has only proposed that we restructure the "jumbo" frame that we
use for header blocks.

>From that perspective, Greg's proposal is far more a minor tweak.

If the proposed change was to remove the reference set and maybe clean
up some of the consequences of that, like the '\0' hack, then that
would be a relatively small change.  It might also enable alternative
solutions to the issues we're discussing (549, 550 and 551).  But if
we're going to consider a major change like this, it needs to be
better justified.