Re: Large Frames, Continuations, Flow Control, and changing HPACK

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com> wrote:

> > For some sets of data.  The samples we have are for browsing and only
> > for very short sessions.  For APIs, server-to-server,
> > XmlHTTPRequest-heavy pages, and similar, my understanding is that a
> > reference set would be a significant improvement.  I believe that the
> > reference set would have represented a significant improvement in the
> > applications I was building when I was at Microsoft.  Sadly, I can't
> > run the numbers to support this claim.
>
> I am not suggesting we remove the header table, so you can still
> encode header fields using the "indexed representation." Yes it is
> less efficient than requiring 0 bytes, but in most cases you should be
> abel to get away with encoding it in 1 or 2 bytes.

If you manage cookie crumbs as separate entries, it can be quite a few
indexed opcodes.

Another option is to make "emit the reference set" an explicit signal
(either an opcode, or a flag).

A strategy then might be to toggle off as desired & the emit the reference
set all within the first HEADERS frame, and then follow in subsequent
frames with new literal encodings.