Re: Encouraging a healthy HTTP/2 ecosystem

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 04:46:15PM -0400, Johnny Graettinger wrote:

> > As I said above, all that dangerously complicated stuff for a dead
> >
> connection anyway is not worth it. Better kill the connection and restart
> > with something sane if needed.
>

> If HAProxy is speaking HTTP/2 to backend application servers, and I can get
> an application server to send a response with more than 16K of headers,
> doesn't that give me an easy way to tear-down any other active stream to
> that server?

In 1.1 it would return 502 bad gateway. In 2.0, assuming I manage to implement
it to the server, I don't expect it to be able to multiplex multiple streams
over a single connection before we've finished HTTP/3. I'm serious. 2.0 is a
major architecture change for low-level intermediaries. So I'd say that for
now, with the elements I have, a protocol error on 2.0 will be handled the
same way as in 1.1 : the connection will be torn down and the effects will be
exactly the same : only the request using that connection will be impacted.

I'm not saying nothing better could be done, of course. But at least for me
right now it's not obvious :-/

Willy