Re: HTTP/2 response completed before its request

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 02:21:07PM -0500, Zhong Yu wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Getting a response before the request has finished definitely happens
> > sometimes, even in HTTP/1.1
>
> A server should not do that, or it will cause deadlocks with most
> major browsers.
>
> 100-continue is supposed to be helpful in this case, but it's not
> really adopted in practice.

I disagree, and there are a number of situations where it's quite desirable
to act like this. For example, imagine that I'm uploading a large image to
a site and my session has expired. I want the site to send the error as soon
as possible so that my browser stops emitting for nothing. I don't want it to
wait minutes just to know that I need to re-login first then try again.

Browsers already handle this quite well in 1.1, and the real issue in fact
tends to be on the server side where it's not always easy to drain all the
request from the client after the response was sent, which sometimes results
in a TCP RST which risks to clear the response before the client has a chance
to see it. But correctly done, it's a very useful feature.

Willy