RE: CONTINUATION proposal w/ minimum change

From: RUELLAN Herve <Herve.Ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 13:12:54 +0000
To: "K.Morgan@iaea.org" <K.Morgan@iaea.org>, "martin.thomson@gmail.com" <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
CC: "mnot@mnot.net" <mnot@mnot.net>, "phk@phk.freebsd.dk" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

> > Mike & Jason & Herve said:
> > Did you intend to allow static table references? Those do not affect
> > compression state when the effective table size is 0...
>
> Yes, I completely forgot about static references.  I will definitely add that.

> > Herve said:
> > ...CONTINUATION frames do not affect compression state, but may use it:
> > in HPACK a literal header representation can either use a literal or a
> > reference for the header name.
>
> But only static references right? If you reference something that's not static it
> could be changed by a HEADERS frame on another stream or am I missing
> something?

My point is that CONTINUATION frames may depend on the compression state, for example by using a reference to an entry of the dynamic header table for the header name. This dependency enforce an order between CONTINUATION frames and HEADER frames from other streams.

I see two possibilities for removing this dependency:
- Allow only literal header representations, not indexed, and using a literal for the header name.
- Use a specific compression state for the CONTINUATION frames where the header table size is 0: this would allow referencing entries of the static table (either as a whole, or only for the header name).

Hervé.