Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

On 31 March 2014 06:28,  <K.Morgan@iaea.org> wrote:
> In other words, if an attack is found, you have to wait for all the servers
> around the world to be patched to manually disable compression.

At this stage, I consider it highly unlikely that an attack is found
whereby compression has to be globally disabled.  All the attacks that
rely on compression are highly contextual.  Use of compression for
static content (images, static HTML, JS, CSS) is highly valuable from
a performance perspective, and there are no significant threats in
that area.

Note that BEAST effectively did require all servers around the world
to be patched.  It's just that only a vanishingly small proportion of
them were vulnerable to the attack.  Maybe this won't be the case next
time, but with all the recent scrutiny, I'd be willing to bet that the
next attack won't be on compression.

I'd think it unlikely that the working group would reverse this
decision and remove the implicit opt-in.