Re: draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding

* Mark Nottingham wrote:
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding-00

>What do people think about adopting this as a WG item, keeping in mind
>that we can change it in process if there's some particular aspect you
>don't like?

Use of not otherwise encoded non-textual binary data in 'http' URIs is
vanishingly rare, and use of character encodings other than UTF-8 will
only go down over time. So, the ideal situation would be that around
100% of all requests come with these two additional headers, telling
servers something they practically already know. That does not make a
lot of sense to me. And so far nobody has explained how clients would
determine the encoding used in addresses, outside a narrowly confined
area. I think we would be better served with some "best practise" form
of document instead of the proposed headers.