Re: draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding

From: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 16:11:00 +0100
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "Gabriel Montenegro" <gabriel.montenegro@microsoft.com>

Le Ven 21 mars 2014 15:54, Julian Reschke a écrit :

> I'll ask again: please present a *concrete* example where the
> out-of-band metadata helps. This would include a description of where
> the request comes from, what gets on the wire, what kind of checks your
> code does, and what it would do differently when it gets the encoding
> metadata.

I've already given everything I can without exposing our internal
architecture which I won't do. There is nothing more complex that URL
logging, URL regex matching, processing of results in apps (embedded,
server or desktop side) and human checking that everything work well by
reading logs or reportings or whatever.

And I've already stated I don't want out of band metadata to declare if
URLs are in UTF-8, I want out of band metadata to declare when they are
not, and the processing in this case will be to kill connexions and avoid
encoding guesswork down the stack.

There is no hidden mystery use case. There is only the basic need to be
able to decode URLs.

--
Nicolas Mailhot