Re: draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:26:46 +0000
To: "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
cc: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "Gabriel Montenegro" <gabriel.montenegro@microsoft.com>

I am of the opinion that HTTP/2's success will be determined by
what it eliminates from the HTTP-mess, rather than what it adds to it.

This topic/discussion is a very good example why I think so.

We can focus om making HTTP/2 simpler to implement correctly, by
choosing a simple and unambiguous rule, probably "URI's are UTF-8"
or we can add another tortured heuristic resolution flow-chart, which
attempts to guess what people though they understood when they read
the unclear description of all the point-less options in the standard.

What happened to the KISS principle ?