Re: draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:34:56 +0100
To: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Gabriel Montenegro <gabriel.montenegro@microsoft.com>
On 2014-03-21 12:29, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Ven 21 mars 2014 12:01, Julian Reschke a écrit :
>> On 2014-03-21 11:55, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
>> That seems to be the same use case as #1.
>>
>> Why don't you just try to UTF-8 decode, and if that works, assume that
>> it indeed is UTF-8?
>
> Really, can't you read the abundant documentation that was written on the
> massive FAIL duck typing is for encoding (for example, python-side)? Code
> passing unit tests then failing right and left as soon as some new
> encoding combo or text triggering encoding differences injected in the
> system? Piles of piles of partial workarounds till there was complete loss
> of understanding how they were all supposed to work in the first place?

I understand the problems caused by not knowing what encoding something
is in. What I don't understand is how an out-of-band signal helps if you
really can't rely on it being accurate.

Practically, how is a UA supposed to *know* the encoding that was used
for the URI *unless' it constructed it itself? (Which is not what
browsers do; they only construct the query part).

Best regards, Julian