Re: draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding

On 2014-03-21 05:36, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> One of the things we didn't get time to talk about in London was Gabriel's spec:
>    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-montenegro-httpbis-uri-encoding-00
>
> In a nutshell, this offers a way for a client to declare what character encoding was used prior to percent-encoding.
>
> I've heard hallway feedback about it that wonders if we just want to allow one value ("UTF-8"). Beyond that, folks seem generally neutral-to-positive about it, AFAICT.
>
> What do people think about adopting this as a WG item, keeping in mind that we can change it in process if there's some particular aspect you don't like?
>
> Cheers,
>
> P.S. Just to be clear, this would be completely separate from the HTTP/2 work item.

My concerns are the same as when this was presented first: how does this
help?

I hear that it makes security checks more reliable, but then, you can't
rely on the header field being accurate (we do have experience with
out-of-band encoding information, no?).

So before we do this, I'd like to see a *concrete* example use case.

Best regards, Julian