Re: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-httpbis-alt-svc as a normative reference in http/2

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM, William Chan (陈智昌)
<willchan@chromium.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey Will -
>>
>> My understanding of consensus was that the frame was to be done in the
>> core document and the header/error code would be referred to separately and
>> Julian would edit that document. The split is mostly because the
>> header/error-code are not wire protocol bits for http/2. There are not MUST
>> requirements around honoring them other than not SESSION-ERRORing when you
>> parse them.
>>
>> I think you'll find you need the header to adequately address the SNI
>> case if you'd like to do that discovery from plaintext http/1 - a likely
>> case if SNI is the blocker to effectively hosting https://.
>>

> I hadn't thought it through to be honest. I was mostly trusting y'all in
> your draft:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-httpbis-alt-svc-03#section-2.4says
>
> "This use case can be met if Section 3.1 and Section 3.3 are accepted"
>
> Note that Section 3.3 is the ALTSVC frame. Section 3.2, which was not
> mentioned here, is the HTTP Alt-Svc response header.
>

>> More pertinent of course is the fact that this is one plan for
>> bootstrapping http/2 - and if its going to be used, like upgrade which I
>> consider far messier, it should be documented to get consistency among
>> those parties that wish to use it.

Oops, I missed responding to this part. My understanding is that Rob was
the main person looking to upgrading from HTTP/1.1 to HTTP/2 in cleartext,
and that they prefer HTTP Upgrade. So if you're including this for his
benefit, I think that may have been a mistake. But I should let Rob speak
for himself.