Re: Support for gzip at the server #424

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:43:55 -0700
To: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ) <willchan@chromium.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 17 March 2014 18:36, David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com> wrote:
> I think a client and server is always involved, so I think this issue is
> client compression of request content and server handling that compressed
> input.
>
> I think that server originating gzip compressed content and the client
> being required to handle it is NOT the issue being discussed here?

Correct on both aspects.  This is *request* compression.

I'll note that there is nothing stopping a client from trying and
maybe failing to compress, or for specific applications to require
support of compression, or to have client send content types that use
compression in preference to uncompressed content.  But requiring
support for a specific content-encoding is, as I think we've
concluded, perhaps a little too ambitious.