Re: HTTP/2, "h2t" and protocol identifiers in general

> How about using ALTSVC or similar to advertise supported protocols?
> - introduce a new parameter SETTINGS_PREFACE_ALTSVC_COUNT to the SETTINGS
> frame. if just ws, value=1
> - a server MUST send ALTSVC frames of the count asap after the preface
> SETTINGS frame, if just ws, one frame
> - a client MUST wait until it receives the specified number of ALTSVC
> frames to be received before creating a stream

It is nice, we will have more flexibility than SETTINGS without introducing
significant latency.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> On 4 Mar 2014, at 11:25 am, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How does one determine WS usnig HTTP2/TLS/TCP as compared to WS over
> TLS/TCP?
>
> We haven’t discussed much yet, but there are two (not necessarily
> exclusive) proposals:
>
> - You try; if the other end doesn’t support WS, it refuses with an error
> code.
>
> - You discover what schemes the server supports using a SETTINGS.

At a past hybi discussion we thought that the try and error impacts the
connection establishment time and hence we are seeking a way to detect the
server capability, which is (ALPN and (SETTINGS_SUPPORTED_SCHEMES or
(SETTINGS_PREFACE_ALTSVC_COUNT and ALTSVC))) currently.

Thanks,