Re: HTTP/2, "h2t" and protocol identifiers in general

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:07:53 +0000
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>

On 4 Mar 2014, at 11:25 am, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> How does one determine WS usnig HTTP2/TLS/TCP as compared to WS over TLS/TCP?

We havenít discussed much yet, but there are two (not necessarily exclusive) proposals:

- You try; if the other end doesnít support WS, it refuses with an error code.

- You discover what schemes the server supports using a SETTINGS.

This assumes you already have an HTTP/2 connection open to the server; if you donít, you have to figure out what to do, but I *think* thatís a WS/1 problem, not ours.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/