Re: The first settings

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:25:59 -0800
To: Kazu Yamamoto <kazu@iij.ad.jp>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 26 February 2014 21:14, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu@iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> Why SETTINGS_MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS and SETTINGS_INITIAL_WINDOW_SIZE
> are MUST for Upgrade but optional for Direct and TLS?

There's an asymmetry between Upgrade and the other modes.  In Upgrade,
the server gets the first opportunity to send it's SETTINGS.  That
means that clients are potentially exposed to the default values of
these values, but only if they Upgrade.

(Honestly, I don't think that this is a big issue - the server can't
really *do* anything until the client sends a request, but this is
what we have.)