Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:21:40 -0800
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 25 February 2014 13:08, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>  * Make 2.0 change the name to add "zlib" explicitly alongside gzip+deflate
>  * Add a note that deflate has confusion *in 1.1* and instructing 1.1<->2.0
> gateways to enforce correct deflate/zlib labeling or re-encoding.

I think perhaps if we do want to *mandate* gzip+deflate that this
would be the best way to do it.  It would be trivially possible to
translate "zlib" into "deflate" at a 2.0->1.1 intermediary.

The question is whether the advantages of deflate over gzip warrant
it.  I have no expertise, but it doesn't sound like they are
substantial enough to warrant the extra complexity.