Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

From: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:09:53 +0000
To: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 25 February 2014 17:02, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is zero guarantee that http2 would reliably remove any of that logic--
> the origin of any particular entity body may be at an HTTP/1 host, which
> will use 'deflate'. :/

That's not entirely true. The difference between HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2.0
is that in HTTP/1.1 if I send `Accept-Encoding: identity', the server
must not return me a compressed response. In HTTP/2.0, however, the
server may always return a response compressed with gzip or deflate.
This means all HTTP/2.0 user-agents must allow decompression of gzip
and deflate encoded responses, because we cannot reliably inform
upstream that we don't want them.

Jesse and I want to step that back to say that servers may always
return a response compressed with gzip only: any other compression
must be explicitly requested. In this sitatuion, if I then send
`Accept-Encoding: gzip' I'll only ever get gzip back, even if the
origin of the entity body is a HTTP/1.1 host. This would allow me to
rip my deflate/zlib code out as I can ensure that it won't be sent to
me.