Re: h2#404 requiring gzip and/or deflate

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:03:03 -0800
To: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
On 21 February 2014 12:46, Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also agree with Bjoern's point that
> gzip/deflate is pretty slow; enabling it may actually decrease
> throughput in a lot of deployments.

I was under the impression that it was compression speed that was the
concern.  Here we're talking about decompression only.  A server is
under no obligation to use compression; if the server wants more speed
and thinks that avoiding the compression schemes on offer is the best
way to achieve that, then go for it.

The question is what options we require clients to support so that
servers always have the option to select something better than
"identity".