Re: debug field in GOAWAY

From: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:45:13 +0000
To: Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 21 February 2014 14:36, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have 17 implementations so far. Are there anyone who use debug field in
> GOAWAY in a meaningful way?

Hyper doesn't use it, and the most it'd ever do with it is throw it in
exceptions or print it in logs: I doubt it will ever take action on
it.

However, on a purely selfish level I don't object to having it there.
It doesn't add any significant complexity to my code or to my users'
code, and there's no spec requirement that I pay any attention to it
at all. From a pure implementation standpoint I treat that field as
opaque data, and so I'm happy to take it or leave it.

Of course, if someone has a philosophical reason to remove it or keep
it in I'll happily defer to their wisdom.

Cory