Re: WebSocket over HTTP/2.0

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:40:06 -0800
To: Yutaka Hirano <yhirano@google.com>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 19 February 2014 06:34, Yutaka Hirano <yhirano@google.com> wrote:
> Does your "a way to map the semantics efficiently" mean Plan C? Or you have
> another idea?

I don't have a concrete plan, but here's what I believe the semantics
you want to preserve are.  From there, I think that you will find the
delta is minimal from what is already in the HTTP/2 spec:

WebSockets produces an ordered sequence of messages.  The messages are
exchanged between a client and a resource that is identified by a URI
of either ws: or wss: scheme.  These messages are of arbitrary length.
 Messages can contain either binary data or UTF-8 text.

You'll note that I don't mention frames at all here.

>From that description, the only thing that HTTP/2 can't provide is the
binary/text distinction.  If you add compression, then that's another
item to add.  I think that what Roberto describes with HEADERS + DATA
(and END_SEGMENT) is workable for this.