Re: new version trusted-proxy20 draft

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>>

>> And furthermore, I should add that I don't really think it's in the
>> users' interests to have an intermediary be able to snoop listen in on
>> all their https traffic. I don't really see the value for end users in
>> standardizing any mechanism for doing this. Is there any?
>

> This still comes back to the theory that a trusted, explicit firewall, such
> as a corporate firewall, should be able to snoop on all traffic leaving the
> protected network. There are plenty of good reasons to do this, and plenty
> of people who disagree that there are any possible reasons.

Good point. This is a controversial topic that we're unlikely to see
consensus on in the near future. Let me ask another question. Is there
a user agent that plans on supporting this proposal? At the Zurich
interim, IIRC, Patrick (Firefox), Rob (IE/WinInet), and I (Chromium)
all said we do not support this. If that's in error, please speak up.
Otherwise, if no user agent plans on supporting this, I don't see the
value of standardizing this.