Re: Re-work of op-code patterns

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM, RUELLAN Herve
<Herve.Ruellan@crf.canon.fr>wrote:

> I'm somewhat annoyed of using two bytes to clear the reference set: this
> decrease the usefulness of it, and I think it can be very useful in the
> aggregating proxy use-case.
>
> However, I agree that changing the op-codes may not be the best solution.
> But there's another possibility:
> - use index 0 to encode that the reference set is cleared.
> - use the first index after the static table to encode that the header
> table size is changed.
>
> As a result, we need only one byte to clear the reference set. For
> changing the header table size, one or two bytes will be needed in addition
> of encoding the actual new size. This is possibly a slight increase in
> size, but I think that header table size change will not be very common.
>
> If there's no strong opinion against this, I'd like to include it in
> HPACK-06 which is almost ready to go.

I don't have strong objection against the proposed solution, but the
current Editor's copy version feels more natural to me. Using last static
index + 1 is a bit hackish.
Does the extra 1 byte for clearing reference set really matter?

Best regards,
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa